If your goal is to become an airline pilot or just fly for fun; the Private Pilot Certificate is the first license you will work towards. The Private Pilot Certificate will allow you to fly for personal business or pleasure while carrying passengers in day or night VFR conditions.

dasdThe next rating you would work towards would be the Instrument Rating.  The Instrument Rating will allow you to fly in conditions less than VFR (Visual Flight Rules).  This means you'll be flying the airplane solely by reference to the instruments in the aircraft.  Once your Instrument Rating is complete you will continue with the Commercial Pilot Certificate.

The Commercial Pilot Certificate will allow you to get paid for flying.  This doesn't mean you can buy your own boeing-747-2airplane and start charging people.  You'll only be able to fly for another company and get paid for it.  If you want to charge people and fly them around you will have to go thought the FAA and acquire an operators certificate.  If you want to continue on and fly for the airlines you'll probably want to work on your Flight Instructor Certifiacte (CFI).

The flight instructor certificate will allow you to get paid for teaching others to fly.  This is the best way to build up your hours if you plan on working for the airlines or a private company.  Your only other option to build your hours would be to pay for them.

Certifications and Ratings offered at Aero Aviation Academy:

  • Student Pilot
  • Private Pilot Certificate
  • Instrument Rating
  • Commercial Pilot Certificate
  • Flight Instructor Certificate (CFI)
  • Flight Instructor Instrument Certificate (CFII)


Student Pilot:

Everyone that starts flying is considered a student pilot.  A student pilot certificate is issued by the FAA.  You can start your flight training before obtaining a student pilot certificate.  You'll need to obtain the certificate before you start your first solo.  You don't have to worry about anything.  We will go thought the application process with you after you start your training.

Private Pilot Certificate:

The Private Pilot Certificate is the most common certificate held by the majority of active pilots.  There are a number of requirements you have to complete before you can obtain your Private Pilot Certificate.  You will need a total of at least 40 hours of flight time (the national average is around 60-70 hours) which includes 20 hours of flight training with an instructor, 10 hours of solo flying (all by yourself) and a few other requirements including cross country flying and night time flying.  Once all your requirements are me you will  need to pass a computer test, oral test and a flight test given by an FAA Inspector or an FAA Designated Examiner.  You will receive your Private Pilot Certificate once all three tests are completed and passed.

Instrument Rating:

The Instrument Rating is required for pilots that want to fly under instrument flight rules.  You'll learn how to fly the airplane by referencing the instruments in the aircraft.  Some of the requirements to obtain your instrument rating are as follows:

  • 50 Hours of Pilot in Command Cross Country Flight Time
  • At least one cross country flight performed under IFR with a distance of 250 nautical miles.
  • 40 Hours of actual or simulated instrument time

When all your requirements are met you will be able to complete your computer test, oral and flight test.  After you complete all three and pass you will be issued your instrument rating.

Commercial Pilot Certificate:

A commercial pilot certificate will allow you to be compensated for flying under certain circumstances.  This is the certificate you will need if you want to get paid for flying.  Some of the requirements are as follows; you will need a total of at least 250 hours of flight time including 20 hours of training and about 10 hours of solo time to obtain your commercial pilot certificate.  You will then need to complete a computer test, oral and flight test.  Once you complete and pass all three; you will receive your commercial pilot certificate.

Flight Instructor Certificate (CFI):

If you want to make some extra cash or want to fly for the airlines you'll need to obtain the Flight Instructor Certificate.  Airlines require around 1,500 hours of total flight time before you can fly their aircraft.  You only have a few options to build your hours.  If you're a millionaire then you'll have no problems but if you're the average Joe you'll need a way to build hours without paying for them.  The flight instructor certificate allows you to make money and build hours at the same time.  There are a few requirements you'll need to meet before you can obtain your flight instructor certificate.  We will discuss all these requirements with you.  Once all your requirements are met you will take three computer tests, one oral and one flight test.  Once completed and passed you will be issues your flight instructor certificate.

Instrument Flight Instructor (CFII):

The instrument flight instructor certificate will allow you to teach the instrument rating.